Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Earth Day 1970-2011

“There is hope if people will begin to awaken that spiritual part of themselves, that heartfelt knowledge that we are caretakers of this planet.“ ~Brooke Medicine Eagle

Growing up in “The Land Of 10,000 Lakes”, I’ve always been aware of the beauty of nature. I suppose it helped having a father who studied forestry at the University of Minnesota.



My dad loved the outdoors and nature. He also loved sports, fishing, hunting etc… but with a great respect for what he was taking and leaving behind. I think that’s what gave me my respect for our environment.

I think it is also a part of my passion for re-purposing. We have so much, yet we are always looking for the next new thing, ready to discard the old.

So in honor of my father and in respect of this wonderful planet, and all the creatures on it, I am giving 15% of my Etsy sales, from 4/22/11 to 4/22/12 to the World Wildlife Fund.

http://www.worldwildlife.org/home-full.html

Happy Earth Day everyone! ….. remember to take some time to enjoy this beautiful planet!




"It is good to realize that if love and peace can prevail on earth, and if we can teach our children to honor nature's gifts, the joys and beauties of the outdoors will be here forever." ~Jimmy Carter

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading personal snippets about bloggers' lives. This was a good one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on creating not only an innovative business but one that is a earth friendly and gives back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The environment, especially our underwater one is near and dear to my heart. I am researching organizations to give back to from my shop as well. I have always liked the World WIldlife Fund --good for you for supporting them. I am considering Sea Shepard and possibly the Cousteau Society myself. In honor of Earth Day I am giving free shipping to anyone who purchases my earth's environment shirt from my site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely way to remember your dad! Hope you sell a lot of beautiful things on Etsy!

    I'm fortunate enough to be the caretaker for a large piece of land in East Texas, where we raise trees and provide habitat for an amazing range of animals, and my own smaller piece of paradise on South Island, New Zealand. I donate to both WWF and Greenpeace regularly -- and own shares in several oil & gas companies so that I can speak up at shareholder's meetings when I feel the need.

    I also write books and blog -- here's a link to my blog if you find yourself with extra time! I write about social media, the law, and marketing. http://www.debmcalister.wordpress.com

    Best of luck with your Etsy sales! Deb McAlister

    ReplyDelete