Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle......Can Be Beautiful!

More and more I feel I'm defining my company "Nostalgic Summer" by what I can do to help protect and preserve our wonderful planet.

As you know I am now donating a percentage of all my Etsy sales to The World Wildlife Fund.
           I also want to make small changes in my life to "reduce my carbon footprint..... BUT I want to make it fun also! :-)

So.....This is the first in a series of post I am going to do on fun green ideas. And it just so happens the first green idea is mine.

My jewelry is all about re-purposing, reusing what is already here, "reinventing vintage artifacts through modern means: looking towards the future for memory while drawing from the past for inspiration." And I feel my new line embodies this vision perfectly!

The re-purposed vintage tin necklaces are made from cast off cookie, biscuit, tea tins...even old discarded metal lunch boxes!
I always run across these wonderful, old, unwanted tins at garage sales, junk shops, and second hand stores. They are almost always rusty, dented, dirty and unloved....so I'm now giving them the love and respect they deserve!
Now they will live on as really pretty adornments!
I hope you enjoyed the first installment of "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle...Can be Beautiful!

I would love to hear some of your green ideas!

"We are not to throw away those things which can benefit our neighbor. Goods are called good because they can be used for good: they are instruments for good, in the hands of those who use them properly."
-- Clement of Alexandria



6 comments:

  1. Great post Renee! I love the idea of re-using tins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sheryl! I am looking for more fun green ideas to feature...anyone??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of re-purposing anything don't you. In fact, we don't need more growth but need to conserve and re-use. I guess we need another kind of economic order in general in order for the human race to survive. I'm every hopeful that we will especially when I find people like you. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Happiness and Peace to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas, great post!!
    Keep spreading the word!
    Sari xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much ArtSings1946 and Sari! I'm glad you enjoy the post.....and remember Recycling is beautiful! :-)

    ReplyDelete