Monday, May 23, 2011

My Nostalgic Summer

To see the Summer Sky
Is Poetry, though never in a Book it lie -
True Poems flee.
~Emily Dickinson~


Since Memorial Day weekend is coming up, and it is the kickoff to summer, I thought I would write a bit about me, and why I named my jewelry line Nostalgic Summer.

When I was three years old my mom and dad purchased a lakeshore lot in Northwestern Minnesota. My dad built a sweet little storybook cabin on the lot, complete with stone fireplace and stone steps. He built it with love, lots of wonderful exotic wood, beamed ceilings, and cork floors perfect for wet, sandy little feet to run across (I am one of 8 children!).


My dad traveled for his job, so every summer, after school was out we packed up and went to “the lake” to live. This was a child’s dream summer! We spent our days swimming, fishing, catching all kinds of critters, and spending our hard earned money at the candy store in town. For me, all my brothers and sisters, and years later my nieces, nephews and my own son this is where our summer memories were formed.


My husband and I were fortunate to purchase the cabin from my mom about 4 years ago, and we hope to carry on this great family legacy for many years to come. When I’m there I am always nostalgic for my childhood summers, and all the great memories of growing up at this wonderful place.


So…Happy Memorial weekend everyone, And I hope you have a summer filled with wonderful new memories!

Here are a few of my new summer pieces, inspired by my summer memories!




5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story! Summer has always been a special time to me and I can relate to your nostalgic memories. I grew up spending the summers at a bungalow colony with my parents. My father would work in the city all week and come up on weekends, while my brother, mom and I spent the whole summer in the country. Later on I ended up going to summer camp which has left me with another whole set of wonderful memories. In fact, thanks to Facebook I have re-connected with many of my camp friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sheryl! What great opportunities we both had! The best part of mine is we had to be creative, we didn't have a television or a PHONE at the cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that sounds like a wonderful place. That rope swing looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elizabeth,

    Thanks for the visit! It is great, we were very lucky kids. And the rope swing is FUN. We are at the end of a point, and the lake drops 30 feet about 5 feet from shore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Enjoyed reading your post and getting to know you better. What great memories you have of summer and childhood! Love your name by the way!

    P.S. Thank you so much for your comment on my blog.

    Have a great weekend!
    Lisa @ HR Creative Design Studio

    ReplyDelete